Skip to main content

Statement of Intent

My Statement of Intent:
I am going to create a website and a music video that follows the codes and conventions of the dance genre. Music from the dance genre is made by the use of electronics and is most commonly played in night clubs, concerts/raves and on radio stations. My music video is going to be 3 minutes long and my website will have a homepage and a linked page. The name of my artist is ‘Maddi-Blu'. The theme for my production is urban, I have decided to do this as because most dance music videos are of people on holiday so therefore I wanted a more edgy and gritty style of video. To do this I will use locations that portray this and I will use a commercial style of dance in the video.

Media Audiences:
The target audience for my website and music video will be people aged 16-25 years and in the AB audience demographic, who are culturally sophisticated. I will make my website and music video appeal to them as I will use people from the same age group so that my audience can relate to my artist/performers. Representation of the artists will create appeal via aspiration by using the urban settings. I am promoting my artist as relatable using an edgy, gritty style of music video by using the urban settings, this means that it will appeal to my target audience thanks to its unique selling point away from the stereotypical glossy dance music video. Both my music video and website will associate with certain cultural and social contexts relating to dance music so that it appeals to my target audience.  I will ensure that my production is appealing and entertaining to my target audience because they will have stressful jobs so it gives them a chance to relax and be entertained. My production will allow them to have social interaction as it can allow them to talk and discuss it with people and share it on social media. 

Media Language:
My production will follow the codes and conventions of a professional music video and a website. I will do this by using short clips and fast-paced editing for my dance music video so I can portray the upbeat style and correlate the accompaniment to the dance. For my website I will ensure I have professional looking images, a title and subtitles, links to different pages and making my website clean and sleek. On my website there will be a main visual image covering the homepage, there will be images that link to my music video as I will use an image from the video, therefore linking my website and music video together. I will have tabs at the top which will advertise tour dates, new songs (from Apple music and Spotify), music video links, store, social, contact information. The music video will also be on the homepage of the website promoting the artist's new song. I will use my artist's logo throughout the website and in the music video, also linking the two together. Although a lot of music videos in the dance music genre are filmed in an exotic location in the summer time, I have taken inspiration from the music videos 17 by MK and Breathe by Jax Jones and I have decided my music video is going to be filmed in a different location as I would like my music video to be unique but still following the typical codes and conventions of the dance genre as I will still use bright colours and my artists/performers will be happy and having fun in the video. My performers will also be wearing bright, branded clothing as this is what is featured in the music videos I have taken inspiration from. I am not having my artist in my music video so that it is more about voyerism of a polished, aspirational lifestyle with a cultural value of its own. I am going to edit my music video closely to the beat by using short and fast-paced editing. The choreography will also relate to the lyrics of the song by the movements representing what is being said. 

Media Representations:
For my website and music video my artists/performers are going the be in the same age group as my target audience so that it will appeal to them more and they can be aspire to be like them. I will represent my artists/performers in a positive way to promote only good vibes to my audience and show my performers having a fun time with a good lifestyle. I will also represent that people in different social groups can still be like this. My production will appeal to people that don’t necessarily fit in with a certain group that they would like to be in so if the ideology of my production is fun and idealistic then it will appeal to these people that want this lifestyle as well as people that already have this lifestyle. As well as this, because the style of my production is urban this creates a new and fresh look as it isn’t the same as the holiday videos that are stereotypical. 

Media Industries:
The industry that I am working for is the Universal Music Group, this is a record label company that is for mostly mainstream artists. Universal Music Group represent a lot of artists as they are a large organisation.  Universal music group is funding my production and advertisement of my production, meaning they can generate a profit from using my product and artists. As the company is paying for this it will generate income for them by people seeing the advertisement therefore they will then see the product through digital convergence as the media platforms will allow the public to share my product allowing more people to see it which then creates more income for the Universal Music Group. My music video and website is an advertisement for my artist and their product. I will stick to the codes and conventions of what my website and music video should look like by using similar ideas and creating similar products to mainstream artists. Both my website and music video will look like they have been produced and promoted by Universal Music Group, I will ensure I do this by making my work look professional and to a high standard. My production uses digital convergence as it presented on many different media platforms, like YouTube and Instagram. These are integrating media platforms meaning that my production can be viewed by the public which they can they share leading to more people seeing my production and it being spread onto more platforms. It will be clear that my music video and my website are products from the same campaign as they will both be clean and sleek looking making them look professional which will make them deliver the same message to the audience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Beauty-Scene Analysis

Representation: Lester is represented as a non-stereotypical 'Alfa male' character, as usually men are in charge of the house and they protect their family. Whereas he is very submissive, he is not in charge of the house, he gets told what to do and bossed around by is wife, Carolyn, he also gets treated like a child. Lester is an unhappy and depressed character and it really shows through by the way he acts and talks on a day to day basis. It comes across to the audience that he's not even allowed to talk in his own house about how he is feeling as he mutters under his breath quite a lot in the scene. As he gets treated like a kid he also acts like one as he is quite argumentative. The way Lester acts and is presented makes the audience kind of feel sorry for him as we, as an audience, know that he has depression therefore there is a reason for him to act in such way and his wife and his daughter, Jane, don't know what the audience know. This is called dramatic irony.

Music Video Analysis Questions- Unfinished Sympathy & Titanium

  What are the songs about? - I think that Unfinished Sympathy is a love song about if you get hurt by someone you're in love with you should still be strong and not let anyone knock you down because you are better than that and you should pick yourself up and not let it effect you. This makes it appeal to the target audience more as it is aimed at a young audience (around 18-29) and they would be able to relate to it as most people that age would be going through something like this or have already been through it. Love is a mainstream song topic therefore it would make it appeal to a wider audience. - I think Titanium is about a similar kind of thing. I think it is about strength and still be strong even when the world is its worse at you. As the song is called 'Titanium' meaning to be strong hearted and strong willed. This makes it appeal to their target audience which is around 13-29 so they would listen to the meaning of the song so it could help them.  Wha